Monday, April 6, 2020

Art and mistakes

Most of my weekend was spent working on a commissioned painting. I hemmed and hawed over every aspect - what kind of background, the colors, the composition. I changed my mind several times and kept "running things by" Simon, who eventually said, "just paint something". Good advice. This woman asked me to paint her daughter's horse based on the slightly awkward, but charming painting I did of my own horse - she knows I'm not necessarily correct in anatomy or perspective and wants something "whimsical and wonderful". 

The person who is receiving this painting as a surprise gift is all about pink - I knew I had to make pink a major element. Her mom sent me some lovely photos of them competing at shows. Karma (the horse) is a very fancy upper-level warmblood Dressage horse. The photos are formal - Karma is braided and wearing a bonnet. This isn't my world - I thought about how I would approach this and kept coming around to being true to my aesthetic, which is natural and finding the personality of the subject - Karma is a very sweet mare and Ashelely equally so. I wanted this work to represent their natures and spirits. Whereas the painting of Veronica shows her sass and confidence, I wanted this one to show gentleness. 

It was all going very well - I was happy with the background, the flowers, the drawing of Karma/the painting of Karma was going well, until the forelock - this was supposed to be the easiest part - a swoop of her bangs and viola! painting accomplished. Nope. The brush had a big glop of paint that made karma look like she had a '60s mod Beatles inspired hairdo. Fuck. I tried to fix it, and it got worse - kept trying and it got so bad I was convinced I had ruined the whole painting after about 15 hours of working on it. I was beside myself. I couldn't believe this work was ruined. After some very frustrating attempts, I got up and went for a walk. When I came back I sat down and quietly problem solved how to fix the mistake and it came around to something I liked better than the original. Such a lesson in this. Don't work when you're frustrated, stay calm, and think it through. 

I finally got the nerve to send it to the person who I was making it for - I was convinced she would cringe and try to be nice, but this was her response:


It is heavenly & better than I could envision. Adore the pinkness, too 💕🦄💖 Deborah, it’s perfect.

It's definitely not perfect, but that's not what I do. I make emotional paintings. It makes sense because I am a sensitive soul.



1 comment:

Rescue me

Facebook is full of people and organizations reaching out for support for many endeavors, animal rescue is one of these endeavors. Every pos...