Saturday, May 23, 2020

Pony Ride

I can hardly believe it, but Veronica and I went for a little ride yesterday. My dedicated time at the barn is 5pm. Everyone is gone - it's like a dream to have time with her without distractions -> someone telling me something I don't want to hear - complaining or gossiping. I am going to continue to dedicate my time spent with Veronica in the after-hours going forward. It is greatly improving my enjoyment of our barn.

I have not been feeling very well - the autoimmune has been raging in my body for months. I am about to start a round of prednisone to try to quiet it down. So many people endure worse things, so I try not to ever feel sorry for myself. I am not sure I'm feeling sorry for myself or just diminished. It's hard to think about the strength I used to have to hop on my horse and canter around. Yesterday I had a very hard time getting on and off. Fortunately, Mike was very patient and helpful and I clamored aboard. Veronica, as always stood quietly and waited for me to sort it out. 

We walked around the property - the outdoor ring mostly. She feels so strong and has a new bounce to her step. That's what a winter with a wonderful trainer will do! She was snorting happily and seemed to be inviting me to pick up a trot or canter, but I didn't feel up to it. We walked in the early evening breeze. I feel like I reconnected with her movement and the partnership riding gives you and your horse. I love how when I pet her neck and tell her she's a good girl she stretches forward and snorts. She loves being a good girl. 

Simon watched from the hill and took this photo. It has also been a gift to have him be part of the world Veronica and I have together. He gets it. He quietly watches us, helps sweep up, gently pets V, gives us as much time as we need together. I'm very grateful to him. 

Simon loves cats - I have always said he is a cat - he connects to them in a deep way. In our old home the neighborhood cats would follow him around. like he was the Pied Piper. Yesterday he met Henry, the barn cat. Oh my goodness, pure love. I went home with Veronica fluff all over me and Simon went home with Henry fluff all over him. A perfect visit.

Today I feel sore from my brief ride - amazing how riding muscles are only used for riding - it's a wonderful feeling - pain I'm happy to feel!


1 comment:

Rescue me

Facebook is full of people and organizations reaching out for support for many endeavors, animal rescue is one of these endeavors. Every pos...