Thursday, May 21, 2020

Veronicas

One of the first things to bloom in my yard is this army of Veronicas. You can imagine my delight when I found out the name of these flowers! They're hardy, purple, beautiful, and the bees love them. It's heartwarming to see the bees zipping from flower to flower like the garden is an all-you-can-eat buffet. Beauty and sustainable life - perfect.

We inherited this garden - it was the life's work of the former owner of our house. He was an artist. There is something in bloom all season - right up until the first frost. I am in awe of the time, planning, and patience it must have taken. I try to maintain it - we basically leave it alone to be a wild tangle, which I love. It looks like the meadows I used to walk through in Maine. My father always had a wild tangle, too - must be where I developed my taste for it over a manicured garden. We were the Adams family of our neighborhood - wild plants, horses getting loose, free-range dogs... you name it. It formed an independent and somewhat original Deborella.

Today is my sister's birthday. I painted portraits of her cat Betsy and her dog Wilson. I don't think she likes them, but it's the thought, right? She was always the real artist in our family. Oh well, I feel embarrassed I sent them to her now. It is bringing up old dynamics and making me wonder if it is actually possible to change family dynamics. It is a beautiful day and I wish her a very happy birthday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rescue me

Facebook is full of people and organizations reaching out for support for many endeavors, animal rescue is one of these endeavors. Every pos...