Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Keepin' it real

After a day of working on Sue's website, cooking (a mac 'n cheese fail), and riding my bike trainer, I settled in to watch a film. I was feeling content from a day well spent, with the snow coming down, and cozy all wrapped up in a yummy blanket when Simon poked his head into my studio and said: "you know we might already have the virus". 

Boom - feelings of contentment vanished. I replied, "Got any more good news?" and he quickly explained how he was expressing how many cases of Coronavirus are mild and if we got sick we might still be okay. I reminded him of my autoimmune and he reminded me I almost never get sick, and when I do I recover quickly, which I attribute to my daily dose of Apple Cider Vinegar.

I have been keeping track of the days I have been at home without symptoms - today marks 11 but for him only 3. So, even though I have been isolated Simon might have been exposed. Every trip to the grocery store resets the count. It made me realize the flaw in my sense of security about the days I have been self-quarantining. It also made me think about how are we ever going to get back to normal - the sense that even though everyone seems okay we might not be. 

The film I watched last night was set in the World War I era. One of the characters said "how will anything ever be normal again", while another (Maggie Smith) responded, "trust me, it won't be the same, but it will become the new normal". I have often thought about how I don't want to be the victim of someone else's bad decision - the distracted driver running me over, or off the road on the highway - it keeps me vigilant. The approach is the same - take every precaution and carry on. This sounds negative, but assume others are not being careful and be that much more careful. In the words of Evel Knievel, "other drivers are either blind or drunk, probably both".

Stay well, make good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rescue me

Facebook is full of people and organizations reaching out for support for many endeavors, animal rescue is one of these endeavors. Every pos...