Thursday, April 16, 2020

Loving your work

When I finish something I've been working on - a painting, freestyle, website - whatever it might be. I often sit back, smile and declare "I love this". Simon chides me "you're not supposed to love your own work, Deborah". I have thought this through and disagree. I understand the pursuit of excellence and perfection but also feel okay with work being completed, or a work in progress. Part of creating for me is love - I know when a painting is finished when I feel a little giggle bubbling up.

I'm excited the website I built for Sue is finally live - suemurad.com

Sue and I were bandmates in U.V. Protection - I was aware of her other work but had no idea the scope of it. I feel like I got to know Sue in a more complete way through creating this website. Her old website didn't have a logical way to navigate the content - I feel proud of this work to be able to present over 25 years of work in an organized, logical, yet still visually appealing way. If you ever wondered what being a life-long working artist involves, look no further than Sue. Many people who pursue art as their vocation are financially independent - Sue works tirelessly to earn grants and freelance work to support herself. Huge respect.

I'm working on the now seven dog portraits. Two came out great, but I'm struggling with the pug and getting the face right. Not loving that one yet! This is Bruce - a little portrait I do love.


1 comment:

Rescue me

Facebook is full of people and organizations reaching out for support for many endeavors, animal rescue is one of these endeavors. Every pos...